Compliments are cute little things, aren’t they? Like one can randomly, out of nowhere, give one to someone, which by the way costs nothing(!), and the other’s day will be turned around and made! Just like that!
While many of us usually struggle to gracefully accept and own a compliment, we all enjoy receiving them though. I mean who doesn’t! Compliments can magically change the mood, flip a bad day into a slightly better one, boost self-esteem, roll up the confidence and bring huge smiles on anyone’s face, provided that they are kind, genuine, appropriate and appreciative. Throwing around compliments that don’t quite fit any of these can cause absolute opposite – drown down the mood, turn a pretty day into a terrible one, crush self-esteem, encourage self-doubt/hate and invite breakdowns. This serves as a big reality check for all of us as to how much weight our words carry and how many repercussions they can cause – sometimes good, other times real bad.
All in all, giving compliments is not as much of a no-brainer as one may assume. It in fact is a craft, an appreciation of all things beautiful and a token of kindness. Though art knows no boundaries or rules, complimenting has some. These in addition, in essence also stand true for any or every conversation or dialogue.
- So first things first, staying steer clear of What NOT to Say / Keep in Mind
- Basic courtesy, refrain from giving any comments on body, gender, sexuality, or other things that are sure to or have even the tiniest possibility of making the other person intentionally/unintentionally uncomfortable/awkward in the name of ‘compliments’. Maintain appropriate decency.
- Any and every person is more than just a body. Constant compliments on merely body or other physical attributes aren’t the best thing. Try to look beyond what you see. You can compliment on so many other things – their personality, traits, values, good habits, work, art to name a few.
- It’s very important to recognize, respect and abide the thin line between constructive criticism/ comments made ’out of care’ and straight up being mean, rude and disrespectful. Constructive criticism and helpful advices are delivered with good intentions, respectfully and with care.
- Avoid making comments that are negative altogether. It’s better to stay sush instead of blurt rude/hurtful remarks. Resort to ignorance if you don’t like something or consider it wrong. It’s bliss.
- Don’t give a compliment to get one back or simply for the sake of it. Mean it, it’s free anyway. Genuinity is quick to be identified and felt. Find happiness and satisfaction in making someone feel good about themselves and happy.
- Now getting to What to Say / Keep in Mind
To summarize it all, compliments are ones that are kind, appreciative and uplifting to their very core, are given with pure intentions and are only special when delivered with thorough genuinity. It is always good to look for and appreciate the good and the positive, every step of the way; especially rather than throwing light at the negatives or the weaknesses or anything that might not feel the best.
“a compliment is verbal sunshine.”
For example, and to save you some time, here are 50 compliments, absolutely ready to be served, with love!
- I am simply grateful to know you.
- I appreciate your being.
- You are an inspiration to all.
- Your bravery is one to look up to.
- Your generosity and kindness is heart-warming.
- The way you move with courage is commendable.
- There’s no one quite like you!
- You have such pretty eyes.
- You are the life of the party.
- You’re one of a kind.
- You are perfect just the way you are.
- This world needs exactly who you are.
- Your growth inspires and moves me so much.
- You are absolutely glowing!
- You are so enough.
- Everything would be better if more people were like you.
- You don’t even know how capable you are.
- You are beautiful, and not just on the outside.
- Your energy is infectious!
- You have a home-like vibe.
- Someone is out there getting through and not giving up because of you.
- Anyone would be grateful to have you.
- I adore the world from your eyes.
- Hanging out with you is always fun.
- Being around you makes everything better.
- There’s never a dull moment with you.
- You light up the room the minute you walk in.
- You have a great sense of humour.
- You never miss to crack me up!
- You make this place a better one.
- You are like my most favourite person ever!
- I am grateful for your honesty.
- The efforts you put in all things and relationships are so very seen and appreciated.
- You are like a giant walking hug!
- Damn! I love your style, its stunning.
- Your parent must be so proud of you.
- The way you look at and do things is so trailblazing.
- Your passion towards your work is awe-inspiring.
- You make me feel heard. You are a great listener.
- Your progress is laudable, I’m so proud of you.
- I respect how you are so down-to-earth.
- You’re a reminder that people can be good.
- You somewhere make me want to be a better me.
- You carry outfits so damn well!
- Your confidence is so inspiring to me.
- I trust you.
- I constantly learn from you.
- Your authenticity motivates me to be more me.
- You make me feel safe and supported.
- Thank you for always being there for me.